Encroachment & Transportation Permits

Special instructions during COVID-19

The Public Works Department continues business operations in accordance with the Order of the County Health Officer to Shelter in Place. While Town offices are closed to the public, staff and inspectors will conduct plan review and permit issuance remotely.  In order to address these temporary changes in operations, the Department will be making a few interim adjustments to its permitting process in order to best serve the community:

  • Submit all permit applications documents and plans electronically. Applicants planning to submit documents in paper should reach out to PW department staff by email prior to submitting.
  • All payments must be submitted via check, made payable to the “Town of Moraga”.  Once payment is received, the permit will be issued and permit will be sent back to applicant via email. Send check(s) payable to the Town of Moraga and mail to:

Town of Moraga

Public Works Department, Attn: Jeanet Lara

329 Rheem Blvd., 

Moraga, CA 94556

Encroachment  Permit

An Encroachment Permit (PDF) is generally required for any construction within the public right-of-way, includes; but is not limited to:

  • Connection of a new, underground gas or water service
  • Replacement or repair of sidewalk
  • Widening of a driveway
  • Trenching in the street for a utility repair (i.e. sewer later repair)
  • Repairing or replacing a storm drain pipe through the curb
  • Traffic Control for all work affecting public streets
  • Storage containers (POD) - Collection Dumpsters
  • Public streets should not be used for the temporary storage of construction or landscaping materials, such as stacks of lumber, piles of sand or landscape boulders. 

Moratorium Streets

Please check this Moratorium List  to see if there is a current moratorium for cutting or trending into  the paved portion of the street.

A deposit may be required to cover the cost of repair of damaged paving as a result of the encroachment.

Transportation Permit

A transportation permit is required for vehicles or loads that exceed the maximum allowable by the California Vehicle Code (CVC) dimensions (width, length, height, and overhand). The purpose of issuing the permit is to ensure that appropriate routes are used, and to keep track of large vehicles which may damage Town roads.

2020/21 Master Fee Schedule

Fiscal-Year 2020/2021 Master Fee Schedule Effective 07-13-2020