Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee
- 5:30 pm
- Meets as needed
- 335 Rheem Boulevard
Moraga, CA 94556
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
One of the key elements of Measure K, Moraga’s Local Sales Tax Measure, is the creation of an objective third-party oversight committee. Although the funds are considered a general tax and could, in theory, be spent on any municipal activity, the Town Council and the organizers of Measure K all stated that the funds would only be spent to repair the Town’s roads. This committee is therefore tasked with ensuring the funds are spent as promised. All committee candidates agreed with this mission and had impressive credentials, making the selection very difficult. The seven current committee members selected are:
- Larry Rosenberg, Chairperson
- Laszlo Bonnyay
- Graig Crossley
- William Faoro
- Bob Foxall
- Rob Lucacher
- Svetlana Kuzmichenko
In November 2012, the voters of Moraga overwhelmingly passed Measure K with 70.5% (5,993 yes votes; 2,503 no votes) in support of the measure. Pursuant to Ordinance Number 238 Section 3.20.140 - Oversight, Annual Audit and Public Report (PDF), the Town Council created a new Town of Moraga Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee to foster an objective and transparent review of the use of Measure K revenue.
The Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee consists of seven members, all residents of the Town of Moraga, appointed by the Town Council. The committee meets between two and four times per year or as reasonably determined by the Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee or the Town Council. The members have expertise in the following areas as requested by the Town Council: finance and accounting (including public sector finance); pavement management and engineering; capital project management; and public affairs and communications.
The Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee is charged with the annual review and report to the Town Council on the revenue and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax (also referred to as ’Transactions and Use Tax’). The Committee shall sunset in 2033. The committee’s specific duties are listed in the charter as follows:
- Annually, review revenue receipts and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax.
- Annually, review status and performance of the programs and services, funded wholly or partially with proceeds from the Local Sales Tax.
- Annually, prepare an independent report to the Town Council regarding the revenue and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax.
- It is not within the purview of the committee to direct staff, recommend any particular contracts, or define the scope of a road repair project. These responsibilities remain under the authority of the Town Manager, Town Council, and professional staff.
To learn more about Measure K Funding Measure, please visit Information on Measure K page.
Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee - Annual Independent Reports
- 2013 Annual Report - 03-03-2014 (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2013 to 2014 Annual Report - 02-2015 (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2014 to 2015 Annual Report - 01-2016 (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2015 to 2016 Annual Report - 01-2017 (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2016 to 2017 Annual Report - 01-2018 (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2017 to 2018 Annual Report - 01-2019 (PDF)
- 2018 State of Pavement Presentation - 02-28-2019 (PDF)