Why do I need a hillside development permit?

The slope density ordinance for the Town of Moraga states that no person may grade, clear, construct upon or alter hillside land without a hillside development permit (MMC Section 8.136.040). Hillside land is defined as any slope of 20% or greater. A 20% slope is equivalent to a 1:5 vertical to horizontal ratio or 11.3 degree angle.

Various factors listed in MMC Section 8.136.070 are considered in reviewing a Hillside Development Permit (HDP), including slope stability analysis, soil characteristics and drainage, among others. Geotechnical reports are usually required from applicants and are subject to peer review by the Town’s Geotechnical consultant. The cost of the peer review is paid by the applicant.

Show All Answers

1. Do I get a grading permit from the Contra Costa County Building Department?
2. When is a grading permit required?
3. When is a grading permit required?
4. What do I need for a grading permit?
5. Why do I need a hillside development permit?
6. What are the requirements for retaining walls?
7. Do I need a permit to haul dirt from my grading project off site?
8. Can I remove the vegetation from my property in preparation for grading?
9. Are there any design restrictions on grading?
10. Are there any precautions that should be taken before digging?