What do I need for a grading permit?

Grading plans need to show the existing topography with a 2-foot contour interval and the proposed alteration in the contours. The total amount of cut or excavated earth and fill soil shall be tallied on the plan. By connecting all the points where the proposed contours diverge from the existing contours, the "area of disturbance" can be shown. The average slope of the area of disturbance needs to be calculated on the plan.

If the project involves grading on any slope steeper than 20%, then a Hillside Development Permit is required and the applicant must submit a report from a qualified geotechnical engineer. The cost of peer review by an independent geotechnical consultant under contract with the Town of Moraga shall be paid for any projects where building is planned in the area of grading or the grading is in close proximity to buildings.

If any grading is occurring during the winter, then a storm water pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) and erosion control plan shall be reviewed by the Town Engineer for consistency with the regulations in MMC Section 14.48.

Show All Answers

1. Do I get a grading permit from the Contra Costa County Building Department?
2. When is a grading permit required?
3. When is a grading permit required?
4. What do I need for a grading permit?
5. Why do I need a hillside development permit?
6. What are the requirements for retaining walls?
7. Do I need a permit to haul dirt from my grading project off site?
8. Can I remove the vegetation from my property in preparation for grading?
9. Are there any design restrictions on grading?
10. Are there any precautions that should be taken before digging?