What permits do I need to build a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub?

Pools and Spas require a building permit and can also require a grading permit if they involve excavation of more than 50-cubic yards or placement of the excavated soil on the project site. Pools on flat or "padded" lots may be approved by the Planning staff. If the excavated earth of the pool or spa is placed on the project site or moved to another site in Moraga, then a grading plan would be reviewed in accordance with the Town’s Grading Ordinance (MMC Chapter 14). Approval of the grading necessary to construct a pool on a hillside with a slope steeper than 20% would also require submittal of a geotechnical report and approval by the Design Review Board of a Hillside Development Permit (MMC Section 8.136.040).

Show All Answers

1. Are permits required for tree removal?
2. Where can I build a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub on my property?
3. What permits do I need to build a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub?
4. Are there other restrictions that apply to swimming pool construction?
5. Whom do I contact if my neighbor's pool has been neglected (is green)?
6. What should I do about my neighbor's leaning / dead tree?
7. Are there any height limitations on landscaping on my property?
8. What permits are required for landscaping or irrigation systems?
9. Can landscaping be installed in the public right-of-way in front of my property?