What are the Town's requirements if I want to build a shed on my property?

An accessory building is a subordinate detached building the use of which is incidental to that of a primary building on the same lot. All accessory buildings must conform to the required building setbacks for principal structures unless the Planning Commission grants a variance. There is an exception to this setback requirement for any shed, greenhouse or playhouse not exceeding a total of 120 square feet in floor area, with a height of no more than eight feet. A structure or building that meets that description may be located anywhere within a required side or rear yard, provided that it is reasonably screened from view from the front of the property by a fence, building, or landscaping.

Examples of accessory buildings include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • Carport

  • Garage

  • Greenhouse

  • Guesthouse

  • Playhouse

  • Poolhouse

  • Shed

A building permit is not required for an accessory building that is less than 120 square feet and has no electrical power or plumbing installed.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need Planning Department approval for my home remodeling?
2. How long will it take to get Planning approval of my home addition?
3. When is Design Review Board approval required?
4. How long does it take to get Design Review Board approval?
5. What is the maximum building height?
6. Is Design Review Board approval required for a second story addition?
7. What if I want to build closer to a property line than the setback allows?
8. What are the Town's requirements if I want to build a shed on my property?
9. What are the setbacks for an arbor or gazebo?
10. What are the requirements for building decks?
11. What are the regulations for an accessory dwelling unit at my home?
12. Can a basketball hoop be placed in the public street?
13. What are the regulations on children's outdoors play structures (tree house, etc.)?