What if I want to build closer to a property line than the setback allows?

A project that encroaches into the required building setbacks cannot be approved until an application for a variance is considered by the Planning Commission. Specific findings listed in MMC Section 8.12.130 are necessary for a variance to be approved. The findings are difficult to make and relatively few variances are approved. Unless there are physical constraints on a project site that prevent an applicant from building within the required setbacks and the approval of the variance will not constitute a special privilege, applicants are well advised to avoid seeking a variance. Variance applications are available at the Planning Department Office at:
329 Rheem Boulevard

Show All Answers

1. When do I need Planning Department approval for my home remodeling?
2. How long will it take to get Planning approval of my home addition?
3. When is Design Review Board approval required?
4. How long does it take to get Design Review Board approval?
5. What is the maximum building height?
6. Is Design Review Board approval required for a second story addition?
7. What if I want to build closer to a property line than the setback allows?
8. What are the Town's requirements if I want to build a shed on my property?
9. What are the setbacks for an arbor or gazebo?
10. What are the requirements for building decks?
11. What are the regulations for an accessory dwelling unit at my home?
12. Can a basketball hoop be placed in the public street?
13. What are the regulations on children's outdoors play structures (tree house, etc.)?