When do I need an encroachment permit?

You should consult with the Engineering Department at 329 Rheem Boulevard; however, an Encroachment Permit (PDF) is generally required for any construction within the public right-of-way, including:

  • Connection of a new underground gas or water service or widening of a driveway
  • Installation of a drainpipe through the curb
  • Repair of sidewalks

Public streets should not be used for the temporary storage of construction or landscaping materials, such as stacks of lumber, piles of sand or landscape boulders. An encroachment permit is also required for the temporary use of a public street, such as placement and pickup of a trash collection dumpster. A deposit may be required to cover the cost of repair of damaged paving as a result of the encroachment.

Show All Answers

1. What are the building setbacks on my property?
2. Does the Town have copies of my house plans?
3. Where can I obtain information on a certain property in Town?
4. How do I find out where my property lines are located?
5. How are building setbacks measured?
6. Are there any other setback restrictions on building?
7. What / Where is the public right-of-way of my street?
8. When do I need a survey?
9. What are the scenic corridor requirements?
10. What are the regulations for open space zoned property?
11. When is a Waste Management Plan form required?
12. What are the regulations on political signs?
13. What are the regulations on garage / driveways?
14. What constitutes a "kitchen"?
15. Do solar panels require planning review?
16. Can my home be used for my business?
17. Do I need a permit to operate a licensed family child care home?
18. Are cannabis dispensaries allowed?
19. Are door to door solicitors allowed in Moraga?
20. Who maintains the sidewalk in front of my house?
21. When do I need an encroachment permit?
22. Can I rent a room in my house?