Make Moraga Home
Moraga 2040 General Plan Update
The Town is in the process of updating the Moraga General Plan, a state-mandated document that includes the Town’s policies for future growth and development. Moraga adopted its first General Plan in 1979. That Plan was updated in 1990 and 2002. While the 2002 Plan has been amended several times, it has not been comprehensively updated in more than 20 years.
The General Plan is organized into chapters called “elements.” The elements required by state law are land use, transportation, housing, open space, conservation, noise, and safety. Under Measure J, jurisdictions in Contra Costa County are also required to adopt growth management elements. Depending on local demographics, some communities are also required to adopt environmental justice elements.
Each element includes maps, background information on the subject, goals for the future, and policies and actions to guide local decisions. Town actions related to development, zoning, capital improvements, community services, and many other topics must be consistent with the General Plan.
There is no statutory requirement for how often the General Plan is updated, but most communities use a planning period of 15 to 25 years. The long-term horizon gives the community a chance to think long-term about what it wishes to preserve and what it wishes to change. The Plan can be amended once its adopted, but major updates are usually a once-in-a-generation activity. The Housing Element is the only part of the General Plan that must be updated on a specific timeline—State law requires new Housing Elements every eight years. The Housing Element is also the only part of the General Plan that must be formally certified by the State.
The Town is updating the General Plan in two phases. Phase One, which was completed in early 2023, included adoption of the State-mandated 2023-2031 Housing Element and related amendments to keep the Plan internally consistent. Phase Two, which is underway now, will update the remaining elements of the Plan. Community engagement is an essential part of the process and will be solicited throughout the coming year.
On this site, you will find links to key documents, announcements, and meetings, including information on the Moraga General Plan Update, which is now underway.
The purpose of the Comprehensive Advanced Planning Initiative is to modernize the Town’s long-range plans and development regulations so that they comply with State laws, reflect community priorities and values, and effectively guide Moraga’s future growth in a consistent, objective manner.
The Planning Initiative is being completed in two phases:
- Phase One included was initiated in September 2021 and completed in July 2023. It included the following components: Housing Element Update: As required by State law, the Town updated its Housing Element to cover the eight-year period from 2023-2031. The Housing Element was adopted on January 25, 2023 and certified by the State on September 15, 2023. For more information, click here.
- Rezoning of key sites: In order to create sufficient capacity to meet the Town's housing needs, as determined by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG), the Town rezoned a number of properties to facilitate future housing development. For more information, click here.
- Bollinger Canyon Rezoning: The 423-acre Bollinger Valley Study Area was rezoned in May 2023 and related amendments to the General Plan were adopted. For more information, click here.
- General Plan Amendments: The Moraga General Plan was amended to maintain internal consistency with the new Housing Element. For more information, click here.
- Objective Design and Development Standards were adopted for the Rheem Center area. For more information, click here.
Environmental Impact Report (EIR): A program-level EIR was prepared for the Phase One Initiative. The EIR was certified on January 25, 2023. For more information click here.
Phase Two was initiated in August 2023 and will continue through the end of 2024. It includes the following components:
- General Plan Update. The Moraga General Plan has not been comprehensively updated since 2002. With the Housing Element now complete, the Town will update the Land Use, Community Design, Transportation, Open Space, Conservation, Noise, and Safety Elements. A new Economic Vitality Element also will be added. The General Plan is Moraga’s most important long-range planning document and includes the Town’s policies for growth and conservation. For more information, click here.
- Housing Element Implementation. This includes modifications to zoning standards in certain multi-family and mixed use districts, streamlining the Town’s Planned Development (PD) process, and preparing an illustrative design manual for the Rheem Center.
- Evacuation Study. The Town will be conducting a study of evacuation times under different emergency scenarios, including future scenarios that consider additional growth. Recommendations for maintaining public safety and improving evacuation speed and logistics will be included. More information will be provided on this Study prior once it is authorized and underway.
Upcoming Events & Meetings:
* If translation services are required, please contact the Planning Department at (925) 888-7040, 48 hours in advance of a meeting.
* 如果需要翻譯服務，請在會議前 48 小時致電 (925) 888-7040 與規劃部聯繫。
* Si se requieren servicios de traducción, comuníquese con el Departamento de Planificación al (925) 888-7040, 48 horas antes de la reunión.
Past Workshops, Events, & Public Meetings
- Past Community Workshops and Events are located on the Community Engagement page.
- Past Housing Element Public Meetings are located on the Public Meetings page.
How Can I Get Involved?
Your informed participation and feedback is appreciated. We encourage you to attend the meetings, contact staff with questions, and visit the website often for updates.