Teresa Onoda was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa, part of a large Irish-Catholic family. Teresa has lived in Moraga for 39 years. She married John Onoda and they have two children, Emily and Nick.
Teresa earned a fine arts degree from Creighton University, where she graduated with honors. Following graduation, she taught art to students in Omaha, Nebraska; Houston, Texas; and Memphis, Tennessee.
While her children were attending school, Teresa developed her career as a professional artist. For many years her work has been featured in art galleries in places such as San Francisco, Vail, and Carmel. Her work is collected by art lovers in the Bay Area and throughout the United States. Teresa participated in prestigious art shows, taught workshops and also served as a judge in art competitions of many types.
Teresa has been on the steering committee of Preserve Lamorinda Open Space, a group dedicated to protecting the views of ridgelines and open space. She served for two years on the Moraga Planning Commission before running for Town Council.
Teresa was elected to the town council in 2014. She was Mayor in 2017 and Vice Mayor in 2018. After a two year break she was elected again in 2020 and will serve a four-year term that concludes in 2024.
2023 Council Representative to:
- AUHSD (Acalanes Union High School District) Liaison
- Contra Costa Mayor’s Conference (Alternate)
- EBMUD Liaison (Alternate)
- League of California Cities – East Bay Division (Alternate)
- League of California Cities (LCC) Delegate (Alternate)
- MCE Clean Energy Board (Alternate)
- Moraga Chamber of Commerce Liaison
- Moraga School District (MSD)
- Moraga Youth Involvement Committee (MYIC)
- Saint Mary’s College (SMC)