Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee
In November, the voters of Moraga overwhelmingly passed Measure K with 70.5% (5,993 yes votes; 2,503 no votes) in support of the measure. Pursuant to Ordinance No. 238 Section 3.20.140 – Oversight, Annual Audit and Public Report, the Town Council has created a new Town of Moraga Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee to foster an objective and transparent review of the use of Measure K revenue.
The final charter dictates that the committee shall consist of seven members, all residents of the Town of Moraga, appointed by the Town Council. Generally, terms will be limited to three, consecutive two-year terms for a total of six consecutive years. The committee is expected to meet between two and four times per year or as reasonably determined by the Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee or the Town Council. The Town recruited for and received a number of excellent applications from individuals with expertise in the following areas as requested by the Town Council: finance and accounting (including public sector finance); pavement management and engineering; capital project management; and public affairs and communications.
The Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee is charged with the annual review and report to the Town Council on the revenue and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax (also referred to as ‘Transactions and Use Tax’). The Committee shall sunset in 2033. The committee’s specific duties are listed in the charter as follows:
1. Annually, review revenue receipts and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax.
2. Annually, review status and performance of the programs and services, funded wholly or partially with proceeds from the Local Sales Tax.
3. Annually, prepare an independent report to the Town Council regarding the revenue and expenditures of the Local Sales Tax.
4. It is not within the purview of the committee to direct staff, recommend any particular contracts, or define the scope of a road repair project. These responsibilities remain under the authority of the Town Manager, Town Council, and professional staff.
The FY2015-16 meetings scheduled as follows:
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 5:00 p.m. Cancelled
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 5:00 p.m.
The FY2014-2015 meetings schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. - Cancelled
Rescheduled to Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Local Sales Tax Oversight Committee – Annual Independent Reports
- FY 2014-15 Annual Report - January 28,2016
- FY 2013-14 Annual Report - February 12,2015
- 2013 Annual Report- March 3, 2014
Oversight Committee Members
One of the key elements of Measure K, Moraga’s Local Sales Tax Measure, is the creation of an objective third-party oversight committee. Although the funds are considered a general tax and could, in theory, be spent on any municipal activity, the Town Council and the organizers of Measure K all stated that the funds would only be spent to repair the Town’s roads. This committee is therefore tasked with ensuring the funds are spent as promised. All committee candidates agreed with this mission and had impressive credentials, making the selection very difficult. The seven committee members selected are: